Sunday, March 29, 2020

The Catcher in the Rye


The Catcher in the Rye is a story by J. D. Salinger, partially published in serial form in 1945–1946 and as a novel in 1951.
At first I started to read this novel in Armenian, but then fortunately I found the novel in English. I could read it very easily and without worrying about unfamiliar words. The very first chapters were interesting, but then I lost my interest in the book and couldn’t go on. After founding the book in English I started from where I had stopped. The middle chapters weren’t interesting, just only the end was really worth to read. So what I can say about the book is just read it. It speaks for everything, in some parts it makes you think, it makes you analyze the heroes. When I was just starting to read it I thought it was a modern writer who had written about modern people, but I knew it wasn’t so. Holden was a boy in a search. You know, we all are in a search. Some of us admit it, some of us don’t. I think there is Holden in every of us. I can’t say he was a fool, because he wasn’t, but he wasn’t that smart.
Just read it, think, analyze every step, every word, everything.
  • And of course I had some notes from this novel.

 I am quite illiterate, but I read a lot.
All morons hate it when you call them a moron.
I dont care its a sad good-bye or a bad good-bye, but when I leave a place I like to know I’m leaving it. If you don’t, you feel even worse.
Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
People always clap for the wrong things.
People are always ruining things for you.
When youre feeling very depressed, you can’t even think .
The thing is, it drives me crazy if somebody gets killed -- especially somebody very smart and entertaining and all--and it's somebody else's fault. Romeo and Juliet, at least it was their own fault.
When they got up to go, the two nuns, I did something very stupid and embarrassing. I was smoking a cigarette, and when I stood up to say good-by to them, by mistake I blew some smoke in their face. I didn't mean to, but I did it.
The funny part is, I felt like marrying her the minute I saw her. I’m crazy. I didn’t even like her much, and yet all of a sudden I felt like I was in love with her and wanted to marry her. I swear to God I’m crazy. I admit it.
If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she’s late? Nobody.
Who wants flowers when youre dead? Nobody.
Its funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and theyll do practically anything you want them to.
That because somebodys dead, you don’t just stop liking them, for God’s sake — especially if they were about a thousand times nicer than the people you know that are alive.


/ Lusine Aleksanyan / 

No comments:

Post a Comment